Re: [RTTY] Answering CQ's

To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Answering CQ's
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 18:27:50 +0100
Hello Tom and the group............

You wrote:
>>1.  Put the guys call in first, then our call twice?
>>2.  Don't put the other guys call in at all and just send our call?

I think the simple answer is to use No2!

There are a couple of instances where No1 should be used:
        1.....When there is more than one station on a frequency, and you want
make sure you get a response from the correct call.
        2.....Perhaps when you call (say) HC8N, but some other station calls
YOU.

I also saw mention of a 2X3 call being advocated! This is a BIG no-no in my
book, and is a real pain when conditions are not great. All too often I see
GU0SUP GU0SUP DEXCVJNIOUHAS<>JNA><?KHA.
That doesn't help at all.
And if you think the extra length of the 2X3 call helps in getting your call
noticed, then why not simply have a longer buffer??? Or better still, think
about when you reply!
And consider what happens in a pileup. All you get to see is your own call,
and not one of the callers.
There were a few real smart cookies in CQWW, and after going AGN?? I would
get a small pile of calls, usually my own call, but just after it had died,
there were one or two coming back with just their own call, and just once.
Great! They got worked easily.
And what happens if they send GU0??? AGN?? Do you think they really want to
see HC8N HC8N DE GU0SUP GU0SUP GU0SUP ??? No, of course not. It may have
been QSB that caused the query, and you might well end up with your callsign
being lost in the ether yet again.

Personally, I have one buffer set to DE GU0SUP GU0SUP GU0SUP  and another
with my callsign JUST ONCE.
I can then send that repeatedly, as needed.

I cannot understand why there is ANY need for a 2X3 style of call, least of
all in contests. And why is it so commonly used in normal every day use?? I
have had stations use it for each and every over during a run of the mill
QSO.

It is all down to being able to consider the conditions at the time, and
then make adjustments as needed.
If conditions are great, then just DE GU0SUP GU0SUP is all that is needed.
Of late, a DE and 3 calls is better.
The same applies to a serial number. Send it twice and you risk the
receiving end seeing two different numbers. Send it 3 times, and they will
be more likely to be happy.

These are MY thoughts on the subject. Different options may apply to you,
depending on location.

Will see you all in the Makrothen, and then the next big one is WAEDC - the
one that has those lovely QTC's!!!
Start thinking about QTC's now, and be ready!

73 all

Phil GU0SUP