Re: [RTTY] serial adapters

Subject: Re: [RTTY] serial adapters
From: Tim <tim.n9puz@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 11:11:44 -0600
I'd highly recommend adding a real PCI or PCIX serial port card. A
plain PCI card will be less expensive. Recent Windows and Linux
operating systems will recognize them and in general your life will be
much easier.

The USB converters tend to work well if you are really communicating
with another serial device like a computer, a modem, etc. In a lot of
ham related programs what we really want is a single bit input or
output. With some programming that accesses certain hardware registers
at "standard" serial port addresses it's possible to directly control
a certain pin such as Request To Send (RTS), etc. There's no guarantee
that a USB converter will make any attempt to mimic that low level
functionality.

Tim, N9PUZ