Re: [RTTY] serial adapters

To: "W6SX Hank Garretson" <w6sx@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] serial adapters
From: "Jay Kloss" <n4cbk.jay@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 11:10:12 -0600
Hank,

I am assuming that you have a "tower" style computer case. You didn't
mention it, so I am guessing.

Front vs. Back.
For clarification, when I say FRONT of the motherboard, I am talking
about the edge of the motherboard that is away from the edge where the
external connectors are. On an ATX motherboard the FRONT of the
motherboard will also likely have things like connectors that go to
hard drives, floppy drives, and CD/DVD drives. In other words, the
front of the motherboard is probably oriented toward the front of the
computer case. This is not a technical specification... just some
language so you and I know what we are talking about.

The BACK is the edge of the motherboard where the connectors for the
speakers, mouse, and keyboard are. This is also the edge where your
new serial connector will come out.

Now, open your computer and look at the white expansion card slots
near the BACK of the motherboard. There may be several, or just a
couple.

You will notice that in each of the PCI slots (white) is a little
"divider" that is intended to fit up into a notch in the edge of your
new PCI card. This allows you to orient the card correctly for
insertion.

As I recall, a 5 volt PCI socket is one where the little divider is
closer to the FRONT of the motherboard (opposite from the side where
the mouse and keyboard connectors are on an ATX motherboard,
regardless of how the motherboard is arranged in your computer case.)

If you examine the image at NewEgg (click on View Pic) you will see a
little notch in the edge of the PCI card. This notch matches up with
the divider in the PCI slot in your computer. In this case, this card
will fit into a PCI slot where the divider is toward the FRONT of the
motherboard.

If the picture in on the web matches the orientation of the dividers
in the PCI slots, you are okay. (unless your computer is really old.)
To me, the picture looks exactly like it should and is an accurate
representation of the card.

Hope this info helps. What are you going to use the extra parallel port for?

Also, before you give Dell, or e-Machines, or Compaq, or  HP another
nickel, order the parts and build your next computer yourself.  If you
can put this serial card in a computer you can build one from parts.
And you always get more computer for your money when you do so. There
are scads of websites that tell you how to build one. And it's fun.
And we're hams. And we're cheap. And I just built a rock-crusher
around an Intel 805 and an Asus mobo that bloody well screams (for
$350 bucks) that will stomp the dirt out of an $1100 Dell.

Cheers, es 73 de Jay/N4CBK.