Re: [RTTY] North Dakota was missing in the ARRL RTTY Round Up

To: ka7kuz.groups@comcast.net, rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] North Dakota was missing in the ARRL RTTY Round Up
From: Brian Kassel <k7re@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 11:32:17 -0700
Brian and Folks:

   Yes, I was brought up near Philadelphia, about 40 miles from the DE
border.   There are indeed fewer hams in DE than in ND.  However, since
the population density  around DE is many times greater than ND, there
are many times when hams can simply over the border and operate from DE,
not  nearly so easy in ND I am afraid.  Also, having been raised in the
east and having lived in the western US for many years, I can tell you
that folks around DE are, in general much more competitive, and prone to
do contest per unit of population, compared to ND folks.  Even in SD,
there are really only less than 5 hams who do any real contesting, of
those I can only think of 3, including myself, who contest on a regular
basis.  Just an observation that may explain the disparity in contesters
between both states.  Having said that,  I try every chance that I get
to promote RTTY and Digital mode contesting.

Brian K7RE

Brian, KA7KUZ said:

I have to add my 2 cents worth here.  In my RTTY contesting experience I
worked North Dakota early on and as I recall it was a challenge but I
got it well before I got some other states.  The challenge for me had
been Delaware.  I did some research and found that there are less hams
living in Delaware than in North Dakota.  It was not clear to me why I
had North Dakota in the logbook and not Delaware until I found this
statistic.  After trying for about 3 years on a lark I got into the NA
RTTY QSO Partly contest late and while searching and pouncing I came
across someone sending DE DE....it took me a moment to realize what he
was sending.....damn I jumped on him fast.....he was even on LotW which
saved me a heap of time.

For what it's worth
Brian
KA7KUZ