Re: [RTTY] LOST MY WPX LOG...

To: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@arrl.net>, rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] LOST MY WPX LOG...
From: I2UIY <i2uiy@cqww.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:14:27 +0000
Dear Shelby,
when I was writing my message to W7LD I immediately thought that someone
could write what you wrote:

>Paolo...I admire your effort in the log checking, I just believe that your
>"position", on "fixing the log", only encourages cheating?

but I decided to keep writing and I just added "(I2UIY001 *IS* a typo, why
should you leave it as it is?)" as an example of what I wanted to say.

I did so because I'm checking logs since almost 20 years and during all this
time I never met someone that left in his log such a typo.

I simply wrote to fix obvious typos.
I did so because I like to split "theory" from what REALLY happens.

The chances to cheat that you listed are really FUNNY to me.
You don't know what "cheating" means. If someone wants to cheat in
one of the ways that you listed... he's welcome. His score will not hurt
the final ranking, no pain.

REAL "cheating" means put 300+ invented callsigns in your log and then
submit 2 fake-logs so the log-checking-software should not get you
even if log checker looks for U+1.

REAL "cheating" means having 2 stations running on 2 separate bands
simultaneously and then rubber the clock to make it look like a simple
band-change and I mean rubber the clock for 48 full hours, not for 5
minutes.

REAL "cheating" means setup 6 stations hundreds Km far from each
other and then enter the contest as M/M claiming that all the stations
were setup on the public road that belong to the State so all stations
are on the same "property".

REAL "cheating" means fill a 160m log with over 60 callsigns from the
same, tiny, European country where there are no more than 20 users
of that band.

Ever seen "Blade Runner" when the replicant says "I've seen things you
people wouldn't believe"?

If you wanna start the contest 2 minutes earlier... please do it. How many
QSOs are you planning to do in those 2 minutes? Two? Maybe 3, it's OK.

I would love to believe that everybody just submits his the log as it was on
23:59:59 UTC at the end of the contest but I do not believe it.
Since everyone runs the contest from his own location, there is no way
to check it so we must trust everybody but we well know that someone
cheats.

That's why we must keep our feet on the ground.

Paolo, I2UIY
WPX & CQWW RTTY Log Checker