Re: [RTTY] extfsk & omni6

To: Ed <w3nr@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] extfsk & omni6
From: "Doug Hall" <k4dsp.doug@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 21:32:06 -0500
On 2/28/07, Ed <w3nr@comcast.net> wrote:

> The reason I was trying extfsk was to determine why the Omni would no
> longer transmit in FSK. This all happened about the time I changed from
> a desktop to a laptop computer. So was it the laptop or the rig. Well I
> have determined its the rig itself. I plugged a 9 volt battery into the
> FSK socket and the rig did not switch to transmit.

Before you blame the rig, you should know that the serial ports on
some laptop computers don't meet RS-232C specifications for voltage
levels. You may not be able to go negative enough to cause the Ten Tec
to produce a mark tone. For most applications this doesn't matter, but
in this case a serial port with insufficient voltage swing could be
the culprit.

73,
Doug, K4DSP