Re: [RTTY] N8S changing software

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] N8S changing software
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 07:56:56 -0700
On Apr 11, 2007, at 4/11    2:55 AM, Bill Turner wrote:
> The things you notice at 2am...   :-)

There was a change of op at about that time.

The op earlier was SV2BFN and at about 2 am local time here, he
announced they were going off the air for a short while to change op
and refill the generator.  I went to bed at about then since I'd
worked them on 30m RTTY already the day before.

They copy very well on RTTY.

I've worked them so far with RTTY on 12, 15, 17, 20 and 30 meters
using my usual 100 watts into verticals and wires.  No PSK31 yet
although I heard them on 30m PSK31 a couple of nights ago but with a
huge JA wall.

If you can transmit precisely on the frequency they'd previously just
worked someone, the chances are very good to get through (and the
only way to get through with low power).

With the zillions of people calling them, I imagine they just hear a
wall of noise and calling at a random frequency hoping they will find
you probably won't work too well unless your signal is head and
shoulders louder than everyone else.  I operate frequency agile AFSK
on both RTTY and CW and can transmit right on the previous QSX with a
click of the mouse.

On the lower bands, N8S has a big signal into Oregon but I couldn't
hear them in any mode on 10m.  500 miles south of here and they were
apparently coming in gangbusters on 10m.  I barely eeked out the 12m
RTTY QSO as is -- their SNR was just over the printing threshold (the
SFI was 70 on that day).

73
Chen, W7AY