[RTTY] Re RSQ

To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Re RSQ
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:41:17 +0100
Hi all,

OK, I had not seen the www.rsq-info.net  website, and had not heard of RSQ
reporting before.
(Thanks for the link Ian GM4KLN)
I can see the merits of it for PSK - to a point, but since those first
weeks/months of the Windows versions of software for PSK (around Sep 1999),
most folk don't seem to care what their tones are like, how overdriven they
are, or how to fix it if told!
Every day, there are numerous lousy signals on PSK, mostly due to being
overdriven, and most folk do not appreciate being told about it. I still
fail to see why so many folk use hundreds of watts for PSK.
Listening to 14070 this morning, I sat and watched loads of stations on PSK,
and NOT a single one sent RSQ!

As for RTTY, I see no reason to change from RST at all.
In contests, it specifies RST and an exchange, so maybe RST is what should
be sent. And why bother to send RSQ and then 599? I send TU 599 001 and it
is implicit that the 599 part refers to your signal. It is totally pointless
to send RSQ or even RST.

If chasing DX, who cares! You only send 599 whatever they sound like, and no
matter how poor the copy is.
Maybe for general work, where maybe you are concerned as to what your signal
is like, you may consider asking for a "true report", but I would guess most
of the time, even if told you had a lousy signal, many would not know how to
fix it.

I just don't see the point if fixing something that ain't broke!

73 all

Phil GU0SUP