Re: [RTTY] Some observations in SCC

To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Some observations in SCC
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 21:00:38 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 17:59:17 +0100, "Phil Cooper"
<pcooper@guernsey.net> wrote:

>interesting to see that a few stations spotted me 100 or 200 Hz away from my
>actual frequency

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

When the spot error is one or two hundred Hz, I think the cause is
almost always mis-use of AFC. The station tunes toward your frequency,
and as he gets close his AFC reaches out and grabs your signal and he
stops tuning. Unfortunately, his TRANSMIT frequency is still one or
two hundred Hz off and that is what gets spotted. He is receiving you
perfectly thanks to AFC and he has no idea he is transmitting off
frequency.

AFC should only be used when running, never when S&P'ing, with one
exception: if you are using AFSK and NET is turned on, then AFC works
ok.

Bill W6WRT