[RTTY] Some observations in SCC

To: rtty contesting <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Some observations in SCC
From: Fabi VE2FBD <ve2fbd@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:40:00 -0400
Hello Phil and all,

very disappointed could not be there for SCC nor SARTG but have been watching
from a distance...

Since you brought this up Phil, I must say I have noticed that even during
everyday's spotting activity on the cluster, the spots are many times way off
the actual freq. on which that station is operating. Even when being spotted I
can see the spotter has marked me down way off target.
I can only assume that while it is nice to come across newcombers amongst rtty
fans, many are starting off using afsk and spotting according to what they see
on their radio dial instead of offsetting to the real thing. I have seen this
trend growing more and more in the last couple of months. This could actually
cause a bit of a problem during contests.
Hard to train spotters just like that... Maybe one way would be to re-spot the
original off freq. spot with mention: CORRECT FREQ PSE. I guess if this is done
over and over the gud intentioned new spotters could come to the conclusion
that something is wrong in their spotting technique and do the correction.
Either this or sales of used and beat up rigs,  badly in need of calibration
has been booming lately...

See u all soon , I hope

Fabi   VA2UP