Re: [RTTY] The stations away from my frequency

To: "Bill Turner" <dezrat@copper.net>, "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] The stations away from my frequency
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:58:34 +0100
Hi Bill, and the group,

I guess that may one answer. I hadn't thought of that one!
It could also be that there are slight differences in dial frequency, and
this may make a difference too. I may be on 14.082.25 in which case, MMTTY
would read this as 14.082.3 and the cluster would also see it as 14082.3
Some folk may have a dial frequency of 14.082.24, in which case MMTTY reads
this as 14.082.2 and the cluster sees it as 14082.2
That would account for the 100Hz offset.

It was NOT an AFSK problem where folk aren't usually too sure where they are
actually transmitting, as the spots were too close to my actual frequency.
It was just that they were 100 - 200 high or low.
This implies they were using FSK (although not necessarily!), and so I am
not sure why they didn't net properly on to me.
It is not a serious problem, just far more common in this contest than most
previous contests.

73 all

Phil GU0SUP