[RTTY] SO2R Debate

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] SO2R Debate
From: "Tom Martin" <tmartin@chartermi.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:29:19 -0500
I had a first attempt at SO2R in the RU a few years back and it was a disaster!
 I wasted the two hours trying to get used to the second radio on FSK and the
main radio on AFSK.  If I had practiced several days before the contest, I
would have had a better start.  The contest became my practice!  I should have
just used the second radio for weeks before the contest.  The FT-990, the
second radio, and the FT-1000MP are Yaesu rigs but there was a big difference
between FSK and AFSK operation.  Also, I wasn't experienced enough with using
the SO2R function in N1MM.  So, SO2R wasn't an advantage for me.  SO2R in the
hands of an experienced operator IS a big advantage.

Going from low power to high power is a huge advantage and takes ZERO skill.
Someone mentioned that skill was a factor, when using an amp.  What skill is
there in hooking up an amp and tuning it for 1500 watts?  Yes, it takes a
little skill to keep them in repair but none in the actual operation.

The big difference in contest scores comes from the antenna system plus
LOCATION.  New Orleans is a prime location for radio, if you can keep the
towers and antennas up. Kansas and Nebraska are fine locations.  The 1,2, 3,
call areas have a pipeline to Europe.  Six and seven land used to be at the top
of the list but, during the sunspot low, they have dropped behind the east
coast.  Sadly, even single op stations on the east coast score better than
multi-op stations in the Midwest.  ONE guy with one or two radios does better
than 12 hams and 8 transmitters!!!  Like in real estate; LOCATION, LOCATION,
LOCATION!

So, SO2R provides an advantage.  So be it.  It doesn't deserve a separate
category.  If it does, then there should be a separate category for "Dollar per
Contact."  I can see the listings in QST and CQ Mag now.  "$100,000 and UP",
"$75,00 -$100,00", etc.

73,

Tom W8JWN, V31TR, MJ/W8JWN

It has removed 2160 spam emails to date.