Re: [RTTY] 160 meter Activity Night?

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>, rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 160 meter Activity Night?
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:00:54 -0700 (PDT)
--- Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net> wrote:

> I've heard that mantra all my radio life but by own experience does
> not bear it out. In my log right now, I have 2772 80 meter RTTY QSOs
> and 23 160 meter RTTY QSOs (eight states). I don't recall any
> particular problem copying them as long as they were above the noise
> level as with any other band.

Bill, I can't argue with your experience, but my experience from Massachusetts
is that loud Europeans on 80m are significantly more difficult to copy than
stations with the same signal strength on 40 meters.  I also hear a noticeable
difference in the ability to copy 40m RTTY signals compared to 20M.  You can
hear this with your ears, you don't need a RTTY detector to prove it to you.

73 - Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C/0, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us