Re: [RTTY] 160 meter Activity Night?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 160 meter Activity Night?
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:17:46 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:00:54 -0700 (PDT), Jim Reisert AD1C
<jjreisert@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>Bill, I can't argue with your experience, but my experience from Massachusetts
>is that loud Europeans on 80m are significantly more difficult to copy than
>stations with the same signal strength on 40 meters.  I also hear a noticeable
>difference in the ability to copy 40m RTTY signals compared to 20M.  You can
>hear this with your ears, you don't need a RTTY detector to prove it to you.

Yes, I see and hear it too, but it rarely affects copy. I credit MMTTY
and RiTTY by K6STI for their advanced filtering techniques. In the old
days of 88 mHy toroid-based detectors, 850 Hz shift and mechanical
printers it might have been worse but I don't know, I wasn't there.
:-)

And besides, if it was easy, what would be the fun when you finally do
it?

73, Bill W6WRT