Re: [RTTY] single op, 1 radio, 2 recvrs

To: <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] single op, 1 radio, 2 recvrs
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 20:39:33 -0500
I'd argue against that I'm the master at SO2R RTTY.  There are many others
equal or better than myself and understand some SO2R
techniques better than me - W2UP, K3MM, KI1G, just to name a few off the top of
my head.  I know there are others.

I may be the first, or one of the first to have ever operated SO2R RTTY, but I
did so to compete against WB5HBR and AB5KD (now K5DJ)
who had amplifiers and yagis.  My first goal was to win something in W5-land.
I started SO2R RTTY with a homebrew indoor 20M
coaxial dipole stapled to the ridge of an  attic in a single story house and a
CB whip for 10 meters. My radios were a Drake TR4C
and a Yaesu FT-101.  That was over 25 years ago and nobody seemed to complain
that I was competing against them in the same class
when they were using just one radio.  I guess that's because I wasn't winning.

In the 1993 ARRL RTTY Roundup, I used SO2R for the first time in a major
contest effort and increased my score 41% over my 1992
score.  However, I don't remember which antennas I was using in 1992 or 1993.
I know I had an A3S on a pushup pole at 25 ft in '93.
I don't know if I had the beam in '92.  Also in '93 had at least one Icom
IC-751A running FSK with a narrow 250 Hz filter which I'm
sure helped increase the score as well.  So this 41% increase is only a number
which really means nothing in the realm of score
increase with SO2R.  There are just too many factors and everyone's situation
is different to know how SO2R might affect a score
over SO1R.

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.rttycontesting.com