[RTTY] 5-Band RTTY WAS

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] 5-Band RTTY WAS
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 13:33:42 -0600
There never was a RTTY Honor Roll for DXCC either until Jules - W2JGR/Ø (sk)
petitioned the ARRL to create this category.

Here's what he said in his biography:

"RTTY DXCC HONOR ROLL

One achievement, of which I am most satisfied during this period was my
successful petition to the ARRL for establishment of the RTTY Honor Roll.
RTTY had been finally recognized as a legitimate DXCC mode some years
before. When Gin, JA1ACB, one of the world's foremost RTTYers reached Honor
Roll level, the ARRL recognized it under "Mixed" category. This
disappointment drove Gin off the air for several years. The first vote on
the petition by the DX Advisory Committee failed because it was tied into
another unrelated item which clearly needed to be defeated. Subsequently the
petition was voted on in its own right. DXAC ballots were returnable to the
committee chairman, Charlie, KY0A on November 29, 1993 (my 76th birthday!).
RTTY Honor Roll finally came into its own. I tried to convince JA1ACB to
reapply but he chose not to. My good friend Luciano, I5FLN, became the first
to qualify. By September 1996 only seven had achieved this level. At this
writing in the fall of 1997, I believe this number has grown to about 12."

I can't remember whether Jules achieve Honor Roll, but he was only 2 short
when he wrote this in 1997. I do know he was presented with the "Lifetime
Achievement Award" for his 70 years of amateur radio commitment.

I think it's time to petition the ARRL again, but this time for the 5-Band
RTTY WAS award. I'll check to see what the process is and make an attempt to
get 5BWAS RTTY as another award. You suggestions will be appreciated. I have
never attempted anything like this so I've got some learning to do!

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN