Re: [RTTY] [NCCC] AE6RF NA RTTY Sprint SOAB HP

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] [NCCC] AE6RF NA RTTY Sprint SOAB HP
From: "Ed Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 19:18:03 -0700
> Made pretty much every Sprint newbie mistake possible. I need to
> recheck the log, but the only <3 QSO I think I worked was... poor Ed.

Yeah, I remember seeing that at the time (I had three intervening QSOs, but
you only had two according to your serial number ... which might be
misleading by the way), but it takes more time to talk about it and sort it
out on both sides, so I just forge ahead and maintain rhythm.  It only winds
up being a real dupe for both of us with no penalty so it's not worth
spending time during the contest to correct it.  No big deal.

> The second one was my only known QSY violation. I made the call/CQ
>    pair and then tuned around and took a minute or two break.
>   Then I tuned around for some more and went back to work.
> Unfortunately after two sets of tuning and a 3 minute break I JUST
> happened to wind up in pretty much the same spot. Oh well.

Yeah, that happens to everyone, but rules are rules.  The way I avoid this
problem is to keep my two VFOs on each radio at least 10kHz apart.  When I
give up a frequency, I swap VFOs as standard procedure, even if I'm going to
a QSO on the other radio.  That way I'm assured of never violating the QSY
rule and don't have to keep track of it.  By keeping the VFOs nominally
10kHz or more apart I can still do a bit of incremental tuning on each (to
find a QSO finishing up or a clear spot to CQ) without incurring a QSY
violation.

> Also found N1MM lying to me about <3 QSOs. Bug or operator error, I'm
> not sure, but I *know* it was telling me "invalid"
> when the QSO was OK.

This happens to me in WriteLog if the network falls behind my QSO rate.
Sometimes one computer's QSO doesn't get interleaved in the other computer's
log in the correct time sequence.  Then, because WriteLog computes the
3-intervening-QSO check by looking at adjacent QSOs (rather than time
stamps), I sometimes get a dupe when it really isn't or vice versa.

73,
Ed - W0YK