Re: [RTTY] 160

To: <rtty@contesting.com>, "'Top Band List List'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 160
From: "David Levine" <david@levinecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 07:56:50 -0500
I'm neither a CW op (yet) nor do I have 160 capabilities at my station. So
I'm replying just as a licensed operator following the discussion without
any direct impact on what happens. I'm emotionally removed from being
impacted in this situation.

I'm going to relate how this conversation sounds to what happened to me over
this past weekend. There was a DX station calling in the middle of the 20m
phone band. He was coming in loud and clear and had a nice pileup going. I
was just listening and not even throwing out my call sign. Things were going
well for the DX op and those making a contact with him. In comes a bunch of
other ops that just start talking over the local and DX station. They were
there for a net that has been operating since dinosaurs roamed the earth.
When they came on, they weren't polite by even asking if the frequency was
in use (obviously it was) or even contacting the DX op to explain what was
going on. They just started talking and ripping into all the local ops for
being on "their frequency". A few operators responded back to them that the
station was in use and it wasn't "their frequency" quoting the relevant Part
97 section. Here is the relevant portion:

Parts 97.101(b) and (d) specifically say:

    (b) Each station licensee and each control operator must cooperate in
selecting transmitting channels and in making the most effective use of the
amateur service frequencies. No frequency will be assigned for the exclusive
use of any station.

    (d) No amateur operator shall willfully or maliciously interfere with or
cause interference to any radio communication or signal.

The DX op was much more professional and when the discussion escalated, he
said he will move. From his interaction with the net ops, if they just asked
in the first place I'm sure he would have QSYed without question. I stayed
around to listen to what was so important about this net. I guess discussing
your own ailments, those ailments of your spouse, and the weather was worth
breaking the Part 97 rules by knowingly interfering another operator and the
pileup he was working through.

Now separate yourself from the emotions of your particular case. The above
Part 97 rules still apply. First one in wins. No operator or contest owns a
specific frequency. It's as clear as that to me.

Now that I just passed my Extra exam, it's time to start learning CW so I
can participate in those contests as well!

David - K2DSL