Re: [RTTY] Windows XP Pro OR Vista?

To: "Andrei Stchislenok" <asnp3d@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Windows XP Pro OR Vista?
From: "Neal Campbell" <nealk3nc@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 20:18:43 -0500
Given the choice, stick with XP Pro. I have Vista in various forms
around the house since I program and have  not had a lot of good luck
with it. Outside of the 64bit version (which unfortunately is the most
stable) I haven't found programs that didn't work as long as you
operate with admin rights and turn off UAC.

Probably the biggest change in XP versus Vista is that Vista doesn't
allow programs to use their directory in the Program Files directory
for storing data since it thinks its a security issue. I find it much
easier, when given the choice of where to install a program, to
install it in a directory other than Program Files (yes I know this
defeats the protection that Microsoft envisioned).

I, however, will have the Vista Explorer periodically tell me it has
failed and will restart itself (not reboot but blanks the screen and
rebuilds it). No clue why. Oddly enough, the most stable Vista
environment I have is when running as a virtual machine or as Boot
Camp on my apple computers.

Vista x64 doesn't suffer from these instabilities but it does so by
not allowing unsigned drivers to be loaded (you can bypass this by
hitting F8 at boot time), which means my Flex-5000a driver requires
this action. Some things, like the GreenHeron Rotor USB driver, will
not work with x64.

So, if you can, stick with XP SP2 or SP3.

Neal
Neal Campbell
Abroham Neal Software
Programming Services for Windows, OS X and Linux
(540) 242 0911
Try Spot for OS X, the intelligent DXCluster Client at
www.abrohamnealsoftware.com -  $15.99
For a great dog book, visit www.abrohamneal.com
See the FlexRadio Systems Flex-5000a in
action at www.flex-videos.com