Re: [RTTY] [YCCC] Windows XP Pro OR Vista?

To: "'Andrei Stchislenok'" <asnp3d@gmail.com>, "'RTTY Group'" <rtty@contesting.com>, "'reflector cq-contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>, <yccc@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] [YCCC] Windows XP Pro OR Vista?
From: "Ric" <ricp@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 01:50:31 -0000
Andrei,
Since I just went thru this I will offer my view.
I went Vista since most retail machines are now coming with Vista and it's
more difficult to get XP. All my SW was running on XP.

Here's what I found. Bought two machines, one had a better CPU, more memory,
more HD, not much more money. (the other one was my wife's).
I didn't pay attention as much as I should have !!!! Shame on me.
The "better" machine had a 64 bit OS.
Vista had some GUI issues to get used to, but not that bad.
The 64 bit was a KILLER !!!! Many existing devices don't have and won't have
64 bit drivers !!! And some applications won't install on 64 bit.
On the 32 bit, if I disabled User Account Control all the XP stuff ran and
the drivers all loaded and worked.
I had added a second HD, so my solution was to take my wife's CD and create
a dual boot system with both 32 and 64 bit OSs. I was LUCKY. I had similar
machines. It cost me nothing but time.

So, bottom line IMHO, Vista is OK. BUT ONLY 32 bit AND disable User Account
Control.

Of course, your mileage may vary !! AND others will have many other points
of view.

Hope it all works out for you.

73
Ric KV1W