Re: [RTTY] FSK interface circuit troubles

To: ke1fo@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [RTTY] FSK interface circuit troubles
From: Phil Sussman <ps@pactor.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 04:51:45 -0500
Al,

If the circuit worked using an NPN transistor, then using a PNP requires
inverted polarity on the keying line. So, I have some suggestions:

1. Verify that your FSK keying line still works by manually grounding and
ungrounding the line into your rig.

3. You don't mention the type of rig you're using. Several have the ability to
invert the keying line internally, either by software or with a DIP type switch.

3a. As an alternative, if the keying (in step #2) is inverted add a second NPN
transistor to the output of the existing NPN transistor. Just add about 150K
from the collector (output) of the first transistor the base of the second with
the emitter of the second grounded. Add about 27K between b+ and the collector
of the first transistor to act as a 'pull up' resistor and connect the collector
output of the second transistor to the FSK line going to your rig. This will
invert the output of the original circuit. The values are off the top of my head
and you may need to experiment with them a bit.

Give it a try and let me know !!

de Phil - N8PS

---------