Re: [RTTY] CQ to accept eQSL for Awards..

To: "'Andy GD0TEP'" <andy@gd0tep.com>, "'Jim W7RY'" <w7ry@arrl.net>, "'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQ to accept eQSL for Awards..
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:23:44 -0500
Yes, the attitude of those who won't provide proof of license
and proof of identity to participate in LotW is a problem.  The
arguments concerning "the card within a bundle" being sufficient
to receive DXCC credit made at http://www.gd0tep.com/lotw.htm are
not germane to the issue of proving identity which is at the
heart of the LotW system.  Quite simply, a copy of the license
proves only that the license exists (I can generate a photocopy
of ANY US license from the FCC web site) but does not prove that
the person submitting it is the person who is licensed or that
they are authorized to submit it.  The second step - an identity
document - is a minimally intrusive way to show that the applicant
is the person they are represented to be.

I was preparing a CQ award submission when the news concerning
their acceptance of eQSL was released.  I have terminated that
process and deleted the records as the CQ awards are no longer
credible in my opinion.  That credibility was lost with the
acceptance of eQSL "confirmations."

I have recently received requests for confirmations in eQSL from
a very well known Israeli DXer for QSOs that were made and
CONFIRMED BY CARD (and in some cases LotW) by other 4X stations.
I reported that improper solicitation to eQSL with documentation
of the calls, dates and times but the individual involved has
not been removed from eQSL or even had his "Authenticity
Guaranteed" status revoked.  Since the initial report, I have
even received additional requests for "confirmations" from the
same user again for qsos made and confirmed WITH OTHER 4X
stations since I filed the initial complaint with eQSL.

Any individual or award sponsor who recognizes "confirmations"
from a system so obviously open to fraud has no credibility in
my eyes.  Anyone who can't be bothered to provide documentation
as simple as a photocopy of a license and government issued
ID is simply not telling the truth about their real reasons
for not participating in the only credible system of electronic
confirmation.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV