Re: [RTTY] CQ to accept eQSL for Awards..

To: lists@subich.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQ to accept eQSL for Awards..
From: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 02:40:21 -0500
My 2-cents:

Fraud goes back to the first days of radio. Once all stations
were 'pirates'. Today fraudulent stations and operators still
exist. Some of them are government sanctioned, where a getting a
ham license is merely a matter of paying the right official. As
political entities come and go, licensing authorities can abruptly
change or be completely eliminated. Sanctioning (eg. DXCC) is
inexact and challenging!

I believe that we sometimes forget is that Ham Radio is a HOBBY,
not a profession. Over the years some have transitioned into an
<absolute serious> contester mindset. In many cases contesting has
ceased to be a hobby. Rather it has become an exact science where
all logs must be cross-checked since there is a total lack of trust.

Next someone will object if your exact location is not documented as
well - thus rendering all QSOs from that QTH corrupt. Should past
related WAS, winners, certifications, etc. be revoked retroactively?

The exchange of QSLs by any means -- paper - email, etc. can always be
forged. And -- even if you fully prove and document an individual --
that does NOT eliminate related fraudulent activity.

We now have become so preoccupied with the 'validity' of a call
that we overlook both unintentional errors and government
sanctioned fraudulent operation.

Once upon a time it was assumed that submissions were made in good
faith. Fraud was always known to exist; however, it was considered
such a small fraction as to be inconsequential. Today you are
considered invalid until you PROVE otherwise -- and it's a real shame!

Horrors: Imagine a WAS certificate to issued a phoney ham who never
even owned a radio! (Yep!)

Or: Retroactively, invalidating and revoking certificates because
years later past QSOs were 'found to be invalid'.

Has Ham Radio ceased being a FUN HOBBY? Has QSLing turned into a
Police State? I have QSL cards from unlicensed pirate stations that
were on the high seas. How invalid are they? Think about it!

Hopefully I've made my point while being respectful of all.

END OF SOAP BOX

73 de Phil - N8PS

---------