Re: [RTTY] EU1SA, AA6YQ profiles in MMTTY

To: "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] EU1SA, AA6YQ profiles in MMTTY
From: "Vladimir Sidorov" <vs_otw@rogers.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 19:14:57 -0500
Dave,

As I am quite familiar with the profile (see my signature), let me add a
couple of words to the discussion.
The "EU1SA" profile is mostly not about decoding, but first of all, it's
about extra filtering. It makes the MMTTY RX bandwith exactly matching the
RTTY signal. The brickwall DSP filter with sharp skirts cuts everything off
but the desired signal. It is clearly seen at the tuning indicator. With
such a set up you can even use wide SSB filters and still have pretty nice
results overall. Obviously if you use other filters, as well, it makes the
overall selectivity even better.

Yet another positive aspect of that is the tuning easiness. It comes from
the fact that only one and only signal matches the bandwith. The moment you
tuned to a station, the signal is already readable/decodable and you only
need a bit of fine tuning, if any.

As you can see, this profile is mostly just another contesting tool. It
helps quick tuning and easy decoding regardless adjucent QRM. And still, it
provides the decoder with a narrower bandwith to process, virtually one
signal a time.

73,
Vladimir VE3IAE aka EU1SA

---