Re: [RTTY] [N1MM] Software

To: <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] [N1MM] Software
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:11:21 -0600
I just can't resist making a comment regarding your message Rick...

I don't think you're alone regarding the shoebox full of purchased software
that is no longer supported. I have a cabinet of NOS (New Old Stock) software
packages that consumers never wanted to buy when the next version came onto the
market.

That said, how many shoes, suits, TV's, radios, and cars has everyone bought
during their lifetime that is not longer "supported"?

Software is not really any different than those kinds of "hardware" items.
However, software doesn't get the same level of "respect" as hardware.
Designing software takes as much skill and talent as producing a hardware
product.

I wish I could get the $18,000 back that I paid for the 76-Mb fixed disk drive
(yes Mb, not Gb!) I bought for my first computer system. Yeah, it went to the
recycler, along with the computer, memory, CP/M, 8" floppy disk drives, and 5
foot 19" rack it was all built in.

Free software is great. I use a lot of it myself. I'm thankful the N1MM Logger
is also free. But I would purchase it even if it was not free. Thank you N1MM
Logger team!

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN