Re: [RTTY] Advise requested for RTTY Hardware

To: "'Kok Chen'" <chen@mac.com>, "'Charlie & Sally'" <n1vi@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Advise requested for RTTY Hardware
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 14:37:45 -0400
> The microKeyer II does has a second sound card channel
> for use with rigs with two independent receivers; the
> USB Interface III only has one channel.  However, unless
> you intend to upgrade to a FT-1000/2000, K3, Orion or
> IC-7800, you will not need that second soundcard.

That list isn't complete ... add the FT-9000 among others.  In
addition, any pair of Icom transceivers can be configured to
use one as a second receiver (a perfect use for the second audio
capability).

> Note that the USB Interface III's FSK interface is driven by
> software, microHAM calls it a "pseudo FSK" -- check to make
> sure your software package handles it if you intend to use
> FSK instead of AFSK.

USB Interface III works just fine with EXTFSK in MMTTY or
similar software that provides software generated FSK on
the DTR line.

Pseudo-FSK or p-FSK is unique to fldigi which provides an
on/off keyed 1 KHz tone on the right channel of the sound-
card.  That tone is envelope decoded and used to provide
the equivalent of software generated FSK.  USB Interface
III is the only commercial interface to provide hardware
support for both fldigi's p-FSK and q-CW modes.

> On the other hand, FSK is properly handled by the microKeyer
> II with pretty much all software (the only exception I think
> is fldigi on the Mac OS X; which should not be a concerned
> for Windows XP).

Fldigi does not support "uart generated" FSK on any platform.
The only way to do FSK (as opposed to AFSK) with fldigi is
using an envelope detector/driver as is done in USB Interface
III (or as documented in the fldigi help files).

73,

   ... Joe Subich, W4TV
       microHAM America
       http://www.microHAM-USA.com