[RTTY] Propagation On 60m in RTTY Contests

To: "RTTY COL" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Propagation On 60m in RTTY Contests
From: "Thomas F. Giella NZ4O" <nz4o@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:17:20 -0400
Chen W7AY Said: I think Jim may be referring to multipath effects on the
lower bands?

Thomas NZ4O Says: My radiowave propagation specialty is the medium frequency
band. The 160 meter RTTY distortion that you describe is very minor and also
occurs on CW and SSB.

It is certainly nothing to stop one from DXing or contesting on 160 meters
with the RTTY mode. BTW on RTTY I have 70 DXCC entities confirmed on 80
meters and 60 on 160 meters, so it can't be to bad.

2000 kc is not a small band. 160 meter CW and SSB contesters regularly work
up to approximately 1900 kc, with rag chewers staying above 1900 kc during
contests. None of the reasons given on this email reflector so far for not
allowing RTTY contesting on 160 meters hold any water.

Five words come to my mind: personal selfishness, gated community mentality.

Just my .04 due to inflation.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, NZ4O
Lakeland, FL, USA
nz4o@arrl.net

COL LF/MF/HF/VHF/UHF Frequency Radiowave Propagation Email Reflector:
NZ4O Daily Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data Archive:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o1.htm
NZ4O Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data In Graphic & Image Format:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o2.htm
NZ4O Daily LF/MF/HF/6M Frequency Radiowave Propagation Forecast & Archive:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o3.htm
NZ4O Solar Cycle 24 Forecast Discussion & Archive:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o4.htm
NZ4O 160 Meter Radio Propagation Theory Notes:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o5.htm
NZ4O Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Raw Forecast Data Links:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/nz4o6.htm
Florida & U.S. Raw Weather Forecasting Resource Links:
http://www.wcflunatall.com/kn4lf13.htm