Re: [RTTY] 160 meter radials

To: "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 160 meter radials
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:16:40 -0700
When I lived in Seattle where it rains all the time  :-) and the soil
conductivity is good, I first tried 160 meters with a 60 foot loaded vertical
and a ground rod only, no radials. I was able to get a 1:1 SWR but signal
reports were very poor. I added about a dozen radials in my city lot and things
improved dramatically. The radials were not full length, but just whatever fit.
I was able to work JA, KL7 and the whole USA without trouble. This was CW, I
wasn't into RTTY at that time.

Moral of the story: A few non-resonant radials beats a ground rod hands down.

73, Bill W6WRT