Re: [RTTY] 160 meter radials

To: "RTTY COL" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 160 meter radials
From: "Thomas F. Giella NZ4O" <nz4o@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 17:18:15 -0400
I have twenty one 1/8 wave (64') radials down. The length of the radials do
not need to be any longer than the height of your vertical or the vertical
section of your inverted L. Most of the current return is going to be in the
vicinity of the feedpoint so more short radials are better than fewer long
radials.

I secured the radials to the ground surface with staples made out the little
flags used to trace out utilities. The grass grew over them within two
months. Ground level radials do a better job of collecting return currents
than radials buried in the ground even only 3" down.

I did not leave the current return to just the radials. My lightning ground
system is tied in also. It is comprised of 300 feet of #6 solid bare copper
wire buried 3" deep that encircles my house. Attached are seven eight foot
ground rods, plus the three eight foot ground rods for the power mains,
cable TV and telephone, my house copper pipe plumbing system and the city
water system. The ground rods do nothing for collection of RF and are tied
in per NEC standards for lightning protection.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, NZ4O
Lakeland, FL, USA
nz4o@arrl.net