Re: [RTTY] BAND OPERATION POLLS..

To: "Jack West" <w7ld@theriver.com>,"RTTY GROUP" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] BAND OPERATION POLLS..
From: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 12:01:05 -0400
At 11:47 AM 10/31/2009, Jack West wrote:
>Anybody remember when 40 meter band was 100 percent CW?
>The ARRL sponsored a poll among operators if they wanted to
>allow Phone ops on that band. I understand the poll resulted in
>a majority NO vote.  The ARRL allowed phone operation anyway.
>
>This made my old buddy (Andy W7MHY now sk) so mad he
>quit his membership to the ARRL.
>
>I don't think we are going to stop what some refer to as progress.
>
>73 de
>Jack / W7LD / "Lucky Dog"

I remember it - it was my favorite band back then, around 1952, but
was very sparsely populated. I don't think I ever heard activity
above maybe 7100. Maybe during contests, but I didn't work them. I
think the space now used by phone ops was mostly wasted then. Don't
remember when international broadcasting became prominent.

BTW, I suspect it was the FCC that allowed phone operation there
finally, not the ARRL.

Jerry W4UK