Re: [RTTY] Topband: 160m in RTTY Contests

To: "'Jim W7RY'" <w7ry@arrl.net>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Topband: 160m in RTTY Contests
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 12:04:03 -0400

> I would not call this a poll from the RTTY community. There
> were quite a few responses on this reflector from the top
> band reflector too.

However, the poll was announced only on RTTY and not TopBand.
Unless one was both a 160 meter regular and subscribed to
RTTY, they would not have seen the poll announcement.  It is
interesting that the results are 36:36 as of the current
moment ... and I know several opposed to RTTY contests on
160 who have not voted because the poll requires a persistent,
third party cookie.

> And "they" call it the gentleman's band ?

Absolutely. Being "gentleman" includes NOT polluting the band
with an inefficient, multi-path sensitive, constant carrier
mode that takes more bandwidth than necessary (approximately
300 Hz for 60 WPM RTTY vs. about 70 Hz for 60 WPM CW) for the
communications rate.  Even the AM phone operators are generally
gentlemen and stay high in the band.  Being a "gentleman" does
not mean accepting a mud pie in the punch bowl.

TF4M has it right, 160 meters is a serious band and should be
treated with respect.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV