Re: [RTTY] Need to change GU0SUP setup

To: <pcooper@guernsey.net>, "'RTTY'" <rtty@contesting.com>, "'MMTTTY Group'" <MMTTY@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Need to change GU0SUP setup
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 16:40:27 -0500
Phil,

If you want conventional ports and have open slots (either
PCI or PCI-Express) look at port cards from Syba or StarTech
(www.newegg.com).  The cards based on the MosChip chipsets
seem to be fairly reliable in both Windows XP and Vista.

Stay away from the SIIG cards as their own chipsets seem to
have issues.

You will probably want two soundcards - and will need to
disable any motherboard soundcard based on Realtek chipset.
Realtek's drivers create separate output and input mixers
which confuses many amateur software that expects the mixers
to be the same (including N1MM Logger).  Look for at least
one soundcard that has separate microphone and line inputs
if you plan to do both phone and digital contesting.

> maybe it is time to get a MicroHam interface?

Contact me directly with any questions ... I won't do a sales
pitch here <G>.

>  Which one would suit my needs?

Single radio or SO2R?

> And will it cover Com 2  to 4 above all via one USB port?

All microHAM interfaces allow creating multiple (virtual) serial
ports using a single USB connection.

> Is there a built-in soundcard in any of the MicroHam interfaces?

Yes, USB Interface III (entry level), DigiKeyer, microKEYER II
and MK2R+:  http://www.microHAM-USA.com/compare.html

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV