Re: [RTTY] beyond optimization ?

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] beyond optimization ?
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 14:40:20 -0600
On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 13:46, Jeff Blaine AC0C <keepwalking188@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My thought is that there should be a balance in these exchanges - where we
> should provide enough initial redundancy to avoid unneeded repeats - I had
> to hit quite a few guys for a repeat because they sent all their info one
> time only.  It seems to me that the time wasted in resends, or waiting for
> the guy to try to decipher your decode with the noise/qrm/qrn can work
> against you in the long run.

I used to send the exchange 3 times for that very reason given that I
am 10 dB below a kW and my dipole is a good 20' lower than most
tribanders.

Then I realized that *most* people get it first time.  If I need to
repeat, I repeat, but that doesn't happen as often as I thought it
would.  I also have "longer" and "longest" exchange macros - if I'm
having trouble printing the other guy, I assume he's in the same
situation and send one with 2 or 3 {EXCH} ...

I also forgot to massage my macros before the test Saturday.  I had a
- after the useless-but-mandatory RST.  That's a good thing when
{EXCH} resolves to "04", like it did in CQ WW, but bad if it resolves
to "OK" as it did in RU.

Anti-LF folks will be happy to hear that I also removed the
macro-ending LFs.  Left them in (or added them) when at the beginning.

And what's with the stations sending at a smidgen less than 45.45 baud?