Re: [RTTY] Dashes in Contest Reports - SOLUTION!

To: "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Dashes in Contest Reports - SOLUTION!
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:49:17 -0600
Getting a contest exchange passed in both directions quickly reduces the
chance of interference knocking out characters and control codes. In
addition to making the exchange as concise as practical, one important
consideration is being overlooked.

I checked the rules of the following contests:
ARRL ROUNDUP
BARTG RTTY SPRINT
XE RTTY FMRE
CQWW WPX RTTY
NCJ NA QSO PARTY
OPEN UK RTTY
NCJ NA SPRINT
BARTG SPRINT HF
EA-WW RTTY
SP RTTY
ARI RTTY
SARTG
CQWW DX RTTY
MARKOTHEN
JARTS
TARA RTTY MELEE
OK RTTY

They ALL specify RTTY as a mode for the contest. But not a single one of
them specified a specific speed. So in the spirit of the old High Speed RTTY
Sprint that my brother and I experimented with in the late 90's, everyone
can simple set their speed to 75 or 100 baud for the next contest.

Jumping from 45 baud to 100 will give you a speed increase over 100% and cut
the probability of an interference hit by more than one-half (less time on
the air).

There is absolutely nothing limiting us to 45 baud. Let's think outside the
box! The HSS was during the days of WF1B and RiTTY. The higher speed
revealed some issues that needed to be resolved in the software. And the
fellows learned a lot about their TNC's and how to command them to a
different speed. Today the MMTTY engine is a simple mouse click and you're
all set to go at a higher speed!

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN