Re: [RTTY] How was your WPX RTTY?

To: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>, rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] How was your WPX RTTY?
From: "KC4HW" <kc4hw@centurytel.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:39:51 -0600
Hey Everybody,

I had a great time in WPX RY.  Thanks to everyone for the QSOs!

I must admit that there were times with my setup that I was a bit
frustration and aggrevated.  I really thought that the only solution was a
20 gauge!  But after a bit of rest from it on Saturday, all was better on
Sunday.  The problem has not gone away, but my attitude to continue
to search for an anwser was much better Sunday.

I had been planning on a SOABLP effort, but at the last minute my
second radio bit the dust and was sent off for repair.  So without two
radios, it seemed that a SB effort would be best this time around.
Had the good fortune to get a 40-2CD installed at 118' this past
summer.  Have been having some fun with it on and off with DX and it
really played good in ARRL RU.  I also thought that 20m could have
been a possibility, but it would be more of a daytime band.  Since I
could not do the FT SOAB effort, I thought that 40m left some free
time to get some non radio related activities (work) accomplished
during the daylight hours.

All in all, the antenna and a FT-2000 played very well.  My first time to
use the FT-2000 in a contest, except for a CW effort on 6m last year in
a VHF contest.  I have the FT-1000 to compare it to and it seemed to
do a very good job.  Takes a little time to get use to the controls and
their individual response, but was quite satisfied with it performance.

Actually been a long time since I had tried to be competitive in RY.  No
real effort since moving to South East Alabama 5 years ago, it has
taken a lot more time to get the station up and going than I originally
thought.  It is not even close to where I want it, but another year or two
and it might be pretty good!

Had goals of 800 Qs, unfortunately only made 606.  Lost 4 to 5 hours
of operating on Saturday afternoon and evening.  Also missed some
prime time on the morning hours to EU.  Those 6 pointers are great for
the score.  The real deal is that I really know that it is possible to hit
that goal and more.  So if I do a SB 40m LP effort again, I will set my
goal a good bit higher.

I am really looking forward to more RTTY activity in the future!

TAke care everybody and perhap we will cu in NAQP RY later this
month.

73

Jim/KC4HW
http://www.AlabamaContestGroup.org