Re: [RTTY] SO2R in WPX RTTY

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] SO2R in WPX RTTY
From: "Hank Lonberg" <kr7x1@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:33:26 -0800
G3LDI/GW4SKA/GU0SUP/K4JIK et others:

You preface your statements that "this is not a criticism" and
yet go ahead and couch your comments as such.

As one who does indeed operate SO2R I take this as a criticism
of my chosen operating technique. I checked my log and none of
you are in the 1800+ Q's I made in the test. Now maybe you
exercised your right as an free man and tried to work me but
were unable to make contact and moved on. That is your right
and I don't criticize you for that.

There are other reasons the stations you reference didn't,
couldn't work you; you were not loud enough to break the pile
up, the propagation was one way, or the station was looking
for new multipliers and a new one was calling on the other
frequency, there was tremendous QRM due to close packed
stations (20 and 15 meters for example). This is not rude or
indifferent behavior, the station was trying to maximize
his/her score and was taking advantage of the opportunity as
it presented itself.

How does the SO2R have any more frequency than the SO1R, there
can be only one signal at any time so the station doesn't
occupy any more frequency on each band that is being worked as
a SO1R on each particular band. As far as being inconsiderate,
how is it inconsiderate if the station is trying to put in a
serious effort, rate is king that is why SO2R is used, I
believe it is called a contest with scoring and such. SO2R is
an operating technique to maximize the number of possible Q's
in a given time period.

If a station's operating method causes you grief then move on
and work someone else, it is that other station's loss. I know
I sure would have like to work more 3 pt Gx  calls in the test
and maybe you were one I missed because of my operating
technique.

I do not have to apologize to anyone for my choice of
operating technique or desire to maximize my effort over the
30 hours I was on. I had fun, it was exciting and guess what,
I had to go to work the next day so that is how important this
all is, it is a hobby not life or death.

Ciao and 73

Hank / KR7X