Re: [RTTY] SO2R in WPX RTTY

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] SO2R in WPX RTTY
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 08:31:26 +0000
RTTY contesting has two very different problems with slow responders.

A few of them are SO2R operators who have an unexpected holdup on the
other radio; but SO2R stations are still a small minority.

By far the largest number of slow responders are just plain SLOW. What
is it about RTTY that makes some people think 2...3...5 seconds is an
acceptable turnaround time? In a contest?

Some of them may be all-round slow thinkers (especially on Saturday
evening and Sunday afternoon, in certain countries that are celebrated
for their fine cuisine,  wines and beers) but there have to be at least
two other possible causes:

1. They're waiting to be sure we have stopped transmitting, because they
aren't listening to the radio. BIG MISTAKE! The RTTY decoder only prints
out the message - all the other information about TX/RX changeovers, QSB
and QRM comes in through your ears.

2. They're copy-typing our information from the decoder screen into
their logging program, because nobody has told them: IF YOU'RE TYPING,
YOU'RE LOSING!

How can we get the message out? RTTY contesting is supposed to be slick!

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK