[RTTY] Spot frequency

To: "RTTY Contesting" <rtty@contesting.com>, "MMTTY" <MMTTY@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Spot frequency
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 16:18:57 -0800
I've read stuff about this before, but would appreciate it if someone could
refresh my memory.  During the DLDC contest I was spotted several times by
various stations.  Most spots were at or very near my VFO frequency.
However, I noticed a few spots that were a couple of kHz below or above my
VFO frequency.  For example, while running at 14082.75 (FSK) I was spotted
at 14080.6.  Another time I was spotted 2.1 kHz above my VFO frequency.

I seem to remember this was due to the 2125 Hz shift.  Is this a difference
between running FSK or AFSK?  In the example above was that due to the
spotting station running AFSK on LSB?  What about the spots above my
frequency?  AFSK on USB?  And what about the spots I send out while using
FSK.  Are my spot frequencies correct or off too?  It was a bit annoying to
call CQ endlessly and finally see someone spot me, but on the wrong
frequency!  Can someone clarify this for me?

73,
Gary AL9A