Re: [WriteLog] Suggestions for RTTY RU

To: "'cq-contesting'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>, "'N1MM Logger'" <N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com>, "'Writelog Reflector'" <writelog@contesting.com>, "'Rtty Contesting Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Suggestions for RTTY RU
From: Ed Muns <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 20:12:21 -0800
Hi, Dick!  Thanks to you and the several others who have contributed to this
thread.  I agree with most of the points and admit that I do get anxious
when contest exchanges are not snappy.  I suspect, though, that few of the
readers on these reflectors send long exchanges.  Most of the arguably too
long transmissions come from well-meaning casual participants whose only
interest in a contest is having an abundance of stations to work and
possibly pursuit of QSOs for awards.  Despite my personal frustration with
unnecessarily long contest transmissions, I also am very thankful that these
casual stations get on the air to help fill my log.  So, it's a mixed bag.

I feel the best way to deal with this issue is to make sure we don't
intimidate or scare off the many casual participants who make up a large
share of our log entries.  By graciously accepting them in our activity and
showing by example how contest exchanges should be made, I believe in time
many of them will improve their style.  This is a great outcome ...  growing
participation and growing contesting skill!

Ed - W0YK