Re: [RTTY] K or carriage return

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] K or carriage return
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 19:42:07 -0500
> Many 1 by 2 calls and K calls ended their macro transmissions with
> the letter K. A few ended with a carriage return. I found that the
> carriage return separated the macro's content cleanly while the "K"
> often did not.

Several DX stations had neither a K or CR at the end of their messages.
When coupled with no trailing spaces, their calls were often cut off.

Since a CR generally contributes to the "jumping line" syndrome, the
best solution is to add *at least three* spaces after any printing
character at the end of a line to terminate a message macro.

If PTT is dropped early only the spaces get lost ... if the interface
and software properly handle PTT there is a clear space before any
garbage characters get added to the line.  The "penalty" for the three
extra spaces is less than 1/2 second so it should not impact even the
stations with the highest rate.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV