Re: [RTTY] K or carriage return

To: RTTY contest group <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] K or carriage return
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 06:56:03 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 17:02:17 -0800, Kok Chen <chen@mac.com> wrote:

>Just because one uses RTTY already means that one is already accepting gross
>inefficiencies (both in bandwidth and in transmission time).  Baudot RTTY is
>fun, but you can never accuse it of being efficient :-) :-).

REPLY:

Has anyone here ever operated a contest with MFSK or other
error-correcting modes? It would be fascinating to see the actual
tradeoff between speed and accuracy.

As much as I love RTTY I would be willing to change modes if the overall
QSO rate would be improved. My gut feeling is that RTTY is faster even
with the occasional repeats, but I'd like to see hard evidence from an
actual contest.

73, Bill W6WRT