Re: [RTTY] Keyboard vs Mouse

To: "'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Keyboard vs Mouse
From: "James C. Hall, MD" <heartdoc@nwtcc.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 10:56:49 -0600
Exactly my thoughts, David ! When I read Bill's comments, I thought I was
trying to achieve just the opposite - mouse only. Yes, this was my first
contest for ESM with N1MM and I, too, studied Larry K8UT's videos. The new
band stacking 'workthenpop' worked FB the few times I had to use it. This
contest did not produce long runs as the WPX did ! :)

As this was my first ESM use, I have a few gotcha observations especially
when SO2R. One was exactly what you mentioned when extraneous characters get
in the enter box - that slows things down. Another is when you accidently
click the state first and then the name, you right click thinking everything
is fine and out goes a AGN? AGN? Wha-what happened ??? You look up to find
the error as you force the other station to send it again. Scramble,
scramble ... :) Got's to pay attention ! HI

Another scenario (and I've got a million of'em) is you spent too much time
pouncing on a QSO on the S&P side and your CQ frequency was taken !! (The
dirty scoundrel !) So you decide, ok that's fair, and work the guy. Well the
first ESM response highlighted is NOT S&P, it's running. I caught myself
sending a exchange before sending my callsign a couple times !

All in all, the ESM is a wonderful addition and I, too, wondered why I
hadn't done this before. It certainly helped to improved my score. The
default macros that Larry made up are a great starting point, by I really
need to whittle them down - they seem too long for a rapid fire contest.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL