Re: [RTTY] Keyboard vs Mouse

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Keyboard vs Mouse
From: Bill <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 08:30:28 -0600
No problem Dave
That's how we learn/improve.

I had read some advice notes on the N1MM reflector about keyboard.
With N1MM ESM feature I found it to be faster than mousing.
I am a touch typist (used to be able to do 60 wpm) and once I got used
to using space bar and enter to advance through fields, I found it
easier to correct entry errors.

Now there were times when just to change positions and lubricate my
arthritic fingers and other parts, I would use the mouse but mostly used
the keyboard.

What I found easier was when a name would take a hit and Dave would
print as Da7e or some such.
Mousing would result in the need to make a correction but my fingers
would fix it correctly.

I learned a bit of ESM in the last contest and where was that feature
all my life?
What a great time/accuracy benefit.
Next contest...stacking and log then pop...can't wait to learn those
features.
(I've been contesting for 40 years +, so you can teach an old dog new
tricks, it just takes longer and their harder to remember.)

I'm sure others will have varying opinions.

On 2/27/2011 7:09 AM, David Levine wrote:
> I hope Bill doesn't mind that I pulled his 3830 soapbox comment out and
> started a thread on it. I was interested what the rest of the group (and we
> all know it isn't a shy group!) thought of the subject, specifically because
> I just switched methods. The specific comment is "Goal to not use mouse and
> only keyboard. I learned to do that and that it was faster and less error
> prone.".
>
> For me, and I'm an extremely proficient typist (hopefully no mistakes in
> this email to embarrass me!), I find using the mouse more accurate and
> faster vs typing on the keyboard. Up until recently, I used both the mouse
> and the keyboard though primarily the mouse. After viewing the recent K8UT
> videos on ESM, right click = enter&  call stacking using N1MM, for RTTY
> contesting I'm also 99% mouse now. Thanks to K8UT for those as well as the
> contact yesterday.
>
> Maybe right click vs pressing enter provides no speed difference as long as
> your hand was already either on the keyboard or mouse but I think mouse wins
> everywhere else. I'm not sure how typing a call could ever be quicker vs a
> single click on the name. I can't make a typo using the mouse. The only time
> I went to the keyboard was if the copy from noise came in missing a space
> around a call, name or state or if the operators macro did not have a
> leading or trailing space (grrrr!) and extraneous characters were attached.
>
> So I'm interested in why Bill (and thanks also for the contact yesterday)
> feels it is less error prone and quicker to use the keyboard as well as what
> the rest of the list thinks.
>
> 73,
> K2DSL - David
>

> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Bill<w9ol@billnjudy.com>  wrote:
>
>> W9OL
>>
>>   <SNIP>
>>
>> More light snow and freezing rain, requiring attention.
>> Goal to have no errors, all qso correct.
>> I think I accomplished that.
>> Goal to not use mouse and only keyboard.
>> I learned to do that and that it was faster and
>> less error prone.
>>
>> Rig Flex5K
>> Software N1MM/MMTTY

Life's Tough,...... Its even tougher if you are Stupid! You just don't know it!