Re: [RTTY] RTTY Newbie and brag files

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Newbie and brag files
From: Roger Cooke <roger@g3ldi.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 16:22:52 +0000
Hi, from one of the "Old Geezers".

    I was on RTTY in 1962 and also had a "Brag tape".   Actually, we
scoff
at brag tapes and so on, but in essence they are not that much
different from
a normal QSO, in which we exchange names, locations, antennas, gear, but
stop at Aunt Nellie's cat or our birthdays!
   The answer is of course that we do it because we can!  However, the
conversation should unfold from there. Instead of stopping at the
brag tape,
or the normal QSO introductions as above, we develop the
conversation and
learn a lot more than just the basics, or at least we should.
   My pet gripe  ( I am allowed to because I qualify as a Grumpy Old
Man! )
is that "normal" QSOs don't seem to exist these days. I hear
stations on the
air calling CQ at 30 wpm, having a caller, then issuing him with
"599 73" and
then calling QRZ. What is all that about? I even heard a USA station
doing it
and he should not have a limited use of the English language!
    The same applies to RTTY.  If you hear me calling CQ, don't
answer if you
don't want a conversation. I didn't invest all that time and money
into the hobby
just to exchange a stupid meaningless series of five numbers.
    PSK is different. For some reason, you do get the life history
even before the
polite exchange of names!  However, that seems to be the way the
hobby is
going these days.

    I still have some picture tapes stored away somewhere, but I
have nothing to
use them on now of course. A brag tape with a description of the
other guy's
locality can be quite interesting however, and no different sent
from a macro
than if he were typing it, in fact more effective from a macro.

   I must have worked you Bob, in the dim and distant past using the
"real thing".

73 de Roger, G3LDI