Re: [RTTY] RTTY Newbie and brag files

To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Newbie and brag files
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@frontier.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 09:53:34 -0800
Hi Bob

Computers really killed the picture fun.  I still have some old pictures
around here somewhere.  I actually had the sheet from my first RTTY contact.
The guy I worked tore it off and sent it along with his QSL card.  I've lost
that somewhere, but wish I still had it.  There used to be a net on
Saturdays where they'd send pictures.  I remember you had to stop every 10
minutes so you had to be sure to shut off the tape recorder or TD so it
wouldn't mess up the picture while they'd ID.

I remember at Christmas time they would send pictures and play Jingle Bells
with the bell on the RTTY machine.

In the 'Goode Olde Days' you had to call 'CQ RTTY' on CW then switch to RTTY
after you made contact with someone.

73
Tom W7WHY

Hello Mike...

Welcome to the world of RTTY. It looks like you have already ingested
some of the proper lingo... "brag file"! :-)

One of the unique aspects of RTTY that has been lost to the modern
configurations is "RTTY Art". These were "pictures" that were composed
by judicious selection of characters and overprinting a single line to
create a shading effect. Somewhere around here I have an example that I
printed. It was about 2 feet long, a "picture" of a Playboy Playmate.
I'm thinking I might have to list this item on eBay soon, in order to
supplement my retirement income! Oh, and yes, I am one of the early
geezers, having my first RTTY contact in 1964.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN