Re: [RTTY] N1MM + KENWOOD Radio Control = Chirp..??

To: Michael Haack <mikehaack@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] N1MM + KENWOOD Radio Control = Chirp..??
From: Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 03:45:50 -0500
Mike,

There was a problem with the TS-950SDX firmware in its early version
that caused a rhythmic pulsing in the transmitted signal when CAT
control was being used. This was noticeable on SSB, although this is the
first I have heard of that problem using FSK. But that is one thing I
would suspect with your description of what  you are experiencing.

A firmware update was issued which resolved the problem. I don't know
whether the PROM is still available from Kenwood, but I  see someone is
selling this chip on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenwood-TS-950SDX-Latest-Prom-update-/200586831978

And here's a link to the instructions for replacing the chip:

http://my.bresnan.net.bresnan.netw.ham.dmz.ro/kenwood/ts-950sdx-wk1ea-ver-8-program.php

Although this ASB-1003 Service Bulletin references a problem with the
K1EA CT program (shows you how old this issue is), it doesn't fully
describe the symptom of the pulsing noise in the audio. It reports an
"unkeying" of the transmitter, although I never experienced that
problem. The key though, is that disabling the CAT control makes the
noise go away. I am only aware of this because it was a fault with the
first TS-950SDX I purchased, way back when.

While researching this topic I found another thread that has a link to
an MP3 file that illustrates what the "problem" sounds like. It's in the
post from PD9FER, near the bottom. That message string is over a year
old and I don't see a resolution posted, only references to ferrite on
the CAT lines. This won't fix the problem because the source of the
problem was an internal issue with interrupts of the CPU getting fed
into the audio system.

http://forums.ham-radio.ch/showthread.php?19296-Distortion-in-the-TS-950SDX-Xmit-Audio-if-HRD-is-running

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN