Re: [RTTY] USB-Serial

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] USB-Serial
From: Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 12:40:02 -0500
Joe said: "I have used the Prolific cables for rig control and they
worked fine."

"Thump" ...there, I'm giving this horse one more kick for good measure!

Joe is correct... there does not seem to be any issue with using either
FTDI or Prolific converters for rig control. The difference comes to
light when trying to key the low speed FSK data.

During the earlier days when RTTY operators were making the transition
from physical COM ports to USB/Serial ports, the pass/fail results were
traced to the different implementations by these two manufacturers.
Those having success reported the device used the FTDI chipset, while
those having mixed results were using the Prolific chipset.

In any case, in my shack I have the FTDI adapters exclusively. This
eliminates the probability of my 'senior moment' when I put the wrong
vendor adapter on my FSK connection!

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN