Re: [RTTY] will a USB-Serial converter work for FSK and MMTTY

To: RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] will a USB-Serial converter work for FSK and MMTTY
From: Jim Rhodes <jimk0xu@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 09:34:31 -0500
Maybe I should have been more specific. The second serial cable is for rig
control. So I do have software PTT, but why use it when the hardware is
there.  The $3-4 dollars in cables includes the audio in and out. And why
would I want to do pseudo-fsk when the real thing is right there. The UART
functions are in the serial ports. The sound card did cost $10, so that
there are 2 in the PC. Never did get used to fldigi, so I stick with MMTTY &
WriteLog. Various other software in case I need another mode. All in all,
still over $350/hr. If they paid me like that at work, I might never retire.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 8:30 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@subich.com> wrote:

>  Let's see, 2 x 3904, 2 x 1K resistor, db9 plug& housing, $3-4
>> dollars worth of cable, a dab of solder. I guess if you include the 2
>> serial cables the whole thing might run to $20.
>>

> All of which ignores radio control (CAT, software PTT), any means of
> receiving (sound card), support for FSK with fldigi (pseudo-FSK),
> support for CW with fldigi (q-CW), or even the basic UART function.
>
> 73,
>
>   ... Joe, W4TV
>
> On 8/23/2011 3:16 AM, Jim Rhodes wrote:
>
>> Let's see, 2 x 3904, 2 x 1K resistor, db9 plug&  housing, $3-4 dollars
>> worth
>> of cable, a dab of solder.  I guess if you include the 2 serial cables the
>> whole thing might run to $20.
>> Seems my time is worth about $400 an hour cause it took less than 30 min
>> build. Fits in my pocket, works all modes, works with all the software I
>> have.
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV<lists@subich.com>
>>  wrote:
>>

>>> That depends on whether you also require a CAT/CI-V interface to the
>>> transceiver, a sound card for decoding RTTY, and are willing to settle
>>> for FSK only (ignoring any digital mode except FSK RTTY).  If one
>>> already has an available serial port with the necessary TTL/inverted
>>> TTL/CI-V/RS-232 level converters and an available sound card, a simple
>>> USB-Serial converter with resistor and transistor or optoisolator
>>> drivers will work.
>>>
>>> However, if one does not already have the necessary hardware, all the
>>> parts will cost anywhere from $100 - $200 or more (two USB-Serial
>>> converters, a sound card, project boxes, isolation transformers,
>>> transistors, resistors, pots, connectors, etc.).  You will end up with
>>> three devices, three project boxes (CAT driver, FSK/PTT/CW driver,
>>> sound interface) and and a rat's nest of cables ... and not have
>>> all the capabilities of an entry level commercial product.
>>>
>>> Sure, one can build their own interface ... but what is your time
>>> worth?
>>>
>>> 73,
>>>
>>>    ... Joe, W4TV

Jim K0XU