Re: [RTTY] Staying Alert in 48 hour contests

To: Don AA5AU <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Staying Alert in 48 hour contests
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 21:27:17 -0400
Hi Don

I will probably do a part-time effort in the RTTY - I usually go full
blast in the CQWW phone contest, so here is what *I* do.

Get lots of rest the week prior - be well rested.  You do not want to
start tired.  Have a nap Friday afternoon - wake about an hour or so
before the contest and have dinner.  I follow the motto of "sleep when
Europe sleeps".  Go to about 0800Z, then sleep for 2 cycles (three
hours).  Follow your normal bedtime routine before retiring for bed,
follow your normal morning routine when you wake.  Make sure your
shack is BRIGHT when you start in the morning.  Follow the same
routine Sunday.  Crash after the contest.  Do NOT use the 5 Hour
Energy.  Regular coffee during the day is fine.  I like to drink
Gatoraide or water - NOT pop.  Pop tends to leave you dehydrated.
Snack on fruit during the day.  Water/Gatoraide will let you fall
asleep when you need to, and coffee in the morning helps to wake you
up.

Good luck!!

Tom - VE3CX