Re: [RTTY] Staying Alert in 48 hour contests

To: "'rtty reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Staying Alert in 48 hour contests
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 22:10:20 -0700
Maximizing one's lucidness and performance during a 48-hour contest period
is, of course, different for each of us.  But there is common advice that
applies to most of us.  In general, there are no magic bullets (pills,
caffeine, drugs, foods, etc.).  What works best for general health (exercise
and diet) also works best for this 48-hour stress test.  NCJ has published
articles on this topic and the two that were most helpful, in my view, were
"Sleep--A Contest Prescription", T. Scott Johnson, KC1JI, NCJ, Nov/Dec 1988,
and "A Sleep Strategy for DX Contesting", Randall A. Thompson, K5ZD, NCJ,
<issue unknown, but reproduced at
http://www.k5zd.com/articles/Sleep_Strategy.html>.

These are both excellent articles and the advice has worked well for me.
The drugs and caffeine approach was far less successful and much more
painful.  One thing I'd add is that I find it helpful to have a window where
I can look outside and get a different perspective than the intense focus on
radios and LCD displays.  Also, I've learned to sense the early stages of
hallucination and start to take steps to combat it, especially moving my
focus to the window to the outside.  When I feel the hallucination is about
to take over, I get 1-2 REM periods of sleep (90-180 minutes).  Accordingly,
the best compromise between contest hours and lucid effectiveness, for me,
has been about 44 hours.  The longest break is 1-2 REM cycles, typically
about 24 hours in, sometime Saturday night.  Staying in the chair 48 hours
is sub-optimal if you are operating at significantly reduced performance.
Your score may be improved by taking some sleep breaks and operating at a
higher level for more hours.

Ed - W0YK

Don, AA5AU, asked: